Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 8.24.06 PMAs more and more properties in our region transition from local owners to offsite owners renting online for short and longer-term vacation rentals, it is time to ask the CRD to re-evaluate the zoning bylaw that covers short-term rentals and how they enforce bylaw infractions.

Many regions in the province are struggling with redrafting bylaws originally designed for small owner operated B&Bs. OPSRRA is requesting that the CRD look at modernizing Zoning Bylaw 2040 to reflect the new landscape of mortgage-helping suites, short-term vacation rentals and create a managed and level playing field in our region.

Click here to read a summary of OPSRRA’s letter to the CRD and click here to see what other jurisdictions are doing. To read excerpts from the zoning bylaw, click here.  Or for our region’s full bylaw click here.

If you have questions or concerns about short-term rentals noise issues or other infractions, contact the CRD to obtain clarification or lodge a complaint.  The number to call is 250 642-8100 to reach the Administrative Clerk who can then assist you.

Be assured that you will remain anonymous.  However, you need to provide some information:

  • Your name and phone number
  • The nature of your complaint
  • The address of subject property

The Administrative Clerk will then forward the complaint to the appropriate manager, who will decide what action regarding the complaint is required.