On the afternoon of September 29 OPSRRA hosted a meeting of the candidates from the major federal parties. The room was packed with residents and even a bit of media. The candidates were as follows:
- Randall Pewarchuk, Conservative Party of Canada
- David Merner, Green Party of Canada
- Jamie Hammond, Liberal Party of Canada
- Randall Garrison, New Democratic Party
- Jeremy Gustafson, People’s Party of Canada
Each was invited to provide a short overview of their platform and to respond to three questions. The questions were selected by OPSRRA members:
- The Climate Crisis is a real issue globally and locally as extreme weather events become the norm. What tools and strategies would you advocate using to solve the crisis?
- Federal infrastructure dollars for programs like high-speed internet access and clean water are critical for our region. Over $45 million in federal and provincial tax dollars was allocated between 2016 and early 2018 to create high speed access for our region and the coast of BC. To date no progress has been shared with this community, nor is there a clear confirmation that the program will do anything beyond delivering potential access. Without a provider agreeing to connect up end users, local residents will still be without access. How would you work to ensure that this program proceeds in a timely way with real results?
- Chinook fishing restrictions and closures were imposed this year to protect fish stocks and local orca populations. What regional and national solutions would you work towards to address this issue?
If you attended we hope you enjoyed the session and found it useful.
Jeremy Gustafson, People’s Party of Canada
Randall Pewarchuk, Conservative Party of Canada
David Merner, Green Party of Canada
Jamie Hammond, Liberal Party of Canada
Randall Garrison, New Democratic Party
One thought on “OPSRRA 2019 All Candidates Meeting”
Comments are closed.